Second semester of 2022
The IFGW graduate program holds selection processes for admission in Master's and Ph.D. courses twice a year. According to their selection process classification, accepted candidates may receive a CAPES or CNPq scholarship administered by the program. In addition, together with a potential advisor, the candidate could also apply for a FAPESP scholarship, which offers significant advantages. The FAPESP scholarship application may be submitted even before acceptance in our program since proof of registration is required only in the latter stage of the fellowship installation. Our course's average durations are 24 months for Masters, 48 months for Ph.D., and 60 months for straight Ph.D. (without master).
Admission process for the second semester of 2022
To apply to our graduate program:
- It is preferable required that the candidate has taken the Unified Exam in Physics (EUF) at least once in the last six editions (EUF 1-2022, EUF 3-2021 or EUF 2-2021, EUF 1-2021, EUF 2-2020 or 3-2020, EUF 1-2020 and EUF 2-2019). This exam is in English or Portuguese, and the candidate may request it to do in his/her home institution. The EUF committee will evaluate this request. See the page of EUF for detailed instructions. In addition, a copy of the latest exams in English is there.
- Alternatively, the selection committee might also consider exceptional candidates that have not taken the EUF with a detailed justification. Candidates with an exceptional GRE Physics Test or other internationally recognised exam grading are strongly encouraged to apply.
The selection process for the second semester of 2022 follows the calendar below:
- April 11 to May 15, 2022: Registration in the Brazilian Unified Physics Exam Exame Unificado em Física (EUF) - instructions and registration provided on the exam site.
- June 19, 2022: Application of EUF exam.
- June 26, 2022: Deadline for the announcement of the EUF results.
- May 5 to June 10, 2022: Period of applications to the IFGW graduate program.
Attention: The candidate who intends to use the exam score of the edition EUF 1-2022 must also register in the system by 6/10/2022. It is not possible to edit the application after submission. For the exam score taken on 06/19/2022 to be considered in the selection process, send – between June 26 – June 27,2022 - the EUF enrolment number, EUF grade and EUF percentil to the form link (the candidate must answer the form from the same e-mail used to register). Then, the Graduate School secretariat will be able to confirm the data directly on the Unified Exam Platform.
- July 18, 2022: Deadline for the announcement of the selection process results to IFGW Masters and Doctoral courses, on this page. Official acceptance letters will be issued and sent by e-mail to the successful applicants.
- August 1, 2022: Resource result.
- July 28 to August 1, 2022, until 4 pm: Regular enrollment period for new students for the second semester of 2022.
- July 28 to August 2, 2022: enrollment in courses for the second semester of 2022 (for new students).
- August 15, 2022, until 4 pm: Additional enrollment period for the second semester of 2022 (New students that did not enroll in the regular period).
- August 15, 2022: Beginning of classes.
To register, candidates must complete all the information requested and insert documents through a form (available from May 5, 2022).
Attention: The registration form for Graduate Studies is extensive. Before filling in, click here, to check if the candidate has all the documents scanned in PDF format and to knows the form screenshots beforehand.
- The submitted academic file must contain the averages of the undergraduate grades. If the university's transcript does not have the average, the candidate must add in a PDF file, on the first page, the average of the graduation grades and the transcript, including the failures.
- Candidates for the doctoral course must include a master's transcript (even if partial).
- The grades and percentiles of the EUF informed by candidates at application will be validated by the Graduate Office. Therefore, it is crucial to provide the same name on the application, as entered at the time of application to the EUF.
- Candidates must complete the curriculum with all relevant information.
- Information about the (i), (ii) and (iii) is essential and must be registered in the registration form.
- The candidate must indicate the contact of faculty members or researchers who will provide letters of recommendation
- The letter of recommendation request will be sent to the professors in the same language as the application. The application form is fulfilled in Portuguese, English, or Spanish. Therefore, the e-mail to the professor/researcher received in the same language chose to fulfill the application.
- As soon as the candidate submits the application form, the REQUESTS and LETTER OF RECOMMENDATION TEMPLATES (in the language chosen for completing the application form) will be sent directly by email to professors and/or researchers.
- The letters of recommendation may be sent by professors and/or researchers until June 20, 2022 (Extended until June 24, 2022)
- The candidate can inform in the application form the name of the probable supervisor and the probable Area of Concentration (Physics or Applied Physics) associated to the research project that will be developed.
- The candidate will be judged by the information and documents they submit in the application form. Therefore, no external information will be evaluated for the admission.
- For the exam score of the edition EUF 1-2022 be considered in the selection process, send – between June 26 – June 27,2022 - the EUF enrolment number, EUF grade and EUF percentile to the form link (the candidate must answer the form from the same e-mail used to register). Then, the Graduate School secretariat will be able to confirm the data directly on the EUF Platform.
- If the candidate makes two or more registrations, only the information from the last one will be considered.
- The maximum size allowed for each file scanned (in PDF format) and sent at the time of registration is 3MB (3 megabytes).
(i) Undergraduate scientific experience: inform the project title, supervisor name, agency (if any) and period;
(ii) Monography at the end of the course: : inform the title of the project and name of the supervisor;
(iii) Teaching assistant experience
- for the master's course, it is necessary to send 2 (two) letters of recommendation, one of them being the undergraduate scientific experience supervisor (if any);
- for the doctoral course, it is necessary to send 3 (three) letters of recommendation, one of them being the master's supervisor;
Procedures and selection criteria
All those interested in joining the IFGW Graduate Program must submit to an Exam that tests their knowledge in the disciplines of the Bachelor of Physics course at IFGW. The following exams will be accepted in this selection process:
(ii) Graduate Record Examination (GRE) of the Educational Test Service (ETS) – Subject Test in Physics.
The EUF is an independent evaluation, and all necessary information about it can be obtained at http://www1.fisica.org.br/~euf/
For this selection process, EUF grades obtained in the following editions will be accepted:
(EUF 1-2022, EUF 3-2021 or EUF 2-2021, EUF 1-2021, EUF 2-2020 or 3-2020, EUF 1-2020 and EUF 2-2019).
Candidates may include in the application form one or more EUF grades obtained in the 6 editions indicated above; for the selection process, the highest grade and the highest percentile will be considered.
Attention:Enrollment in the EUF does not automatically imply enrollment in the IFGW Graduate Program. The two entries must be made separately.
The Judging Committee will be composed of 5 members and will be appointed by the Graduate Committee (CPG) of the IFGW.
Each member of the Judging Committee will review the information submitted by the candidate in the application form (undergraduate and/or master's school transcripts, CV/CV Lattes, letters of recommendation) and will assign a grade to each candidate, according to the following procedure:
- for candidates for the master's course, the candidate's grade (N) will be equal to
N = (5 x NEX + 3 x NH + 2 x NCV)/10 and
- for candidates for the doctoral course, the candidate's grade (N) will be equal to
N = (5 x NEX + 2 x NH + 3 x NCV)/10,
where NEX is the grade based on the Entrance Exam, NH is the grade based on the analysis of transcript(s) and NCV is the grade based on the analysis of the CV/CV Lattes together with the letters of recommendation. The NEX, NH and NCV grades may assume values between 0.00 and 10.00, being calculated with precision of up to two decimal places.
For candidates who have taken the EUF, the NEX will be given by:
NEX = (2x (highest EUF score) + 3x (highest EUF/10 percentile) )/5.
For candidates who have taken the GRE, the NEX will be given by
NEX = (GRE grade)/80.
The final grade (NF) of each candidate will be determined by the arithmetic mean of the N grades awarded by each of the 5 members of the Judging Committee. Applicants will be ranked in descending order according to their NF grade, separately for Masters and Doctoral degrees. The final result of each application, based on this classification, may be:
(i) approved with scholarship, and the list of candidates will be indicated in alphabetical order;
(ii) approved on the waiting list for scholarship, and the list of candidates will be indicated in descending order, according to the classification indicated above;
(iii) approved without scholarship, and the list of candidates will be indicated in alphabetical order;
(iv) not approved.
The ranking result will be communicated to all candidates. The list of successful candidates will also be communicated on this page by the deadline indicated above.
Important: The candidates approved on the waiting list for scholarship (ii) will stay on this list until the beginning of the next selection process. If you don't receive the scholarship until the deadline (beginning of the next selection process), you'll need to apply again to compete for the scholarship.
Registration of accepted students
Attention: This semester the enrollments will be carried out remotely and the details were sent in the acceptance letter by email.
The registration of accepted students is carried out, according to the university-s public calendar.
Documents required for Brazilian Students
Please go to the version in Portuguese of this page for detailed instructions.
Documents required for Foreign Students
International students: should enroll in the Graduate Secretariat, must attend the DAC Foreign Student Service Sector with certified copies or simple copies accompanied by the originals of the following documents:
- Passport identification page
- Page of the passport containing the visa
- Passport page with entry stamp
- National Migrants Registration Card (CRNM) or visa registration protocol or scheduling for registration with the Federal Police.
If the candidate has a permanent visa, the presentation of a valid CRNM will be sufficient.
After attending the DAC and to register the new student must sent to Physics Graduate Office the following documents (on the days and times mentioned above):
- After attending the DAC and to register the new student must sent to Physics Graduate Office the following documents (on the days and times mentioned above):
- Graduation diploma* (exceptionally, this can be temporarily replaced by the Graduation Completion Certificate)
- Individual Brazilian Taxpayer Registration (a. k.a. CPF)
Those entering the doctorate: deliver the master's degree diploma or certificate of completion of the master's degree at the secretariat.
After enrollment, international students must upload the following documents on the DAC website, in the Academic Management System (SIGA> Documents> Upload student documents).
* The duly registered Graduation diploma must be delivered at least 60 (sixty) days before Dissertation or Thesis defense.
In the case of documents issued by institutions based abroad, see Documents produced abroad.
Information on types of Visas for Brazil, visit Visa Guidelines for Foreigners.
In the case of a re-entering student (who has already enrolled at Unicamp previously), attendance at the DAC Service is also necessary.
Attention: According to DELIBERATION CEPE-A-21/2021 of 12/07/2021
All students must present proof of compliance with the complete vaccination, under penalty of canceling their enrollment at the University.
This proof must be submitted on the DAC website > Student > e-DAC, in the Covid-19 Vaccination field.
According to the general calendar, students must renew their registration on a semestral basis after the initial registration.
Further information may be requested from the Graduate School secretariat, please contact us.